Friday, September 6, 2013

Which Olympic Shoe?? || WOD 130907

Which Olympic Show Should I Buy?

[Geoff] I have been debating which OLY shoe I should get for myself for months now. I've gotten comfortable with my OLY lifts (Cleans, Snatches, Clean & Jerk) and I want to take the next step and get my feet in the best position to get my to maximum results. I know, I know, it's not about the shoe... But I like the investment and the fact that I have invested some money in my fitness. I guess it's a motivation to keep training and remind myself I made a commitment. I've read that the simple Chuck Taylor's buy Converse work just as great; flat footed, ankle mobility/flexibility, and cheap. I'm not looking for cheap or an easy way out of this. I want an investment. You don't see Dimitri Klokov rockin' lime green chucks when he C&J's 220kg. He wears the classic and discontinuted Addidas Olympic Shoes. I want to be on that level, that mindset. I'm not trying to be on the same level as LA Fitness/Gold Gym rats.

My Choices.
I chose these three different OLY shoes. One because of referral. One because of reputation. One because I'm a Reebok/CrossFit dick-rider. Let's be honest.


The Nike Romaleos 2 was one of my choices because the trainer and owner at the box that I work out at uses these and has told me that they work great. The shoe fits pretty comfortable and they are durable. I don't see too many CrossFit athletes wear these, nor do I see olympic athletes rock them in their videos. But after seeing reviews, I am attracted to the wide foot fit and the fact that it comes in all black.

The Adidas' Adipower Weightlifting Shoe only comes in this burning red color that shouts I OLYMPIC LIFT wherever you are. I was originally looking for the Adiddas Olympic Shoe Dimitri Klokov uses, but they discontinued the production of the shoe some years ago. This company has a great reputation for Olympic Lifting because of the quality of the design and performance of the shoe. If it wasn't for the fact that most reviewers say it runs a little narrow, the price tag is the highest of the three, and it only comes in one color... it would've been a no brainer.



The last shoe is the iPhone fanboy's equivalent to the CrossFit's OLY shoe. Reebok's CrossFit Lifter Plus shoe was debuted at the 2013 Reebook CrossFit games, worn by top athletes like Rich Froning and Jason Khalipa during the Clean and Jerk ladder event. Reviews give it's first generation, the CrossFit Lifter a normal fit, great performance, and lasting durability. Then again, CrossFit fans are like One Direction fans and give nothing but praise for Reebok's products. Not that it's a bad thing, but the reliabilty and credibility is a little suspicious in my books.

So which to choose? It's tough not being able to try each of them out for a little and then make a truly credible review. But since this is based on other people's opinions and my own taste... I'm going to have to go with either the CrossFit Lifter Plus or the Adipower Weightlifting shoe. Hopefully I can snag one before the end of the month. Thoughts? And no, I do not want a Do-Win or Rogue OLY shoe.


____

WOD 130907

Strength
15 mins to establish Push Press 3RM
then
15 mins to establish Push Jerk 1RM

MetCon
3 Rounds For Time
30 Wall Balls 20#/14#
15 Pull Ups

[Geoff]
175# Push Press 3RM (PR 3RM), fail 185# twice (PR 1RM)
245# Push Jerk (PR)
MetCon - 5:54
** I always warm up by doing LOTS of shoulder stretches. I like PVC shoulder work because it gets the blood flowing there. At least 3 sets of 10 pass thrus and 10 iso pass thrus. I focus on getting the core warmed up but static yoga poses and a light 1000m row at 8 speed. Other than that, I do my regular stretching. My push press went up just put dipping down a little bit with my knees. I think I had a mental block when trying 185# just because it felt so much heavier after the 175#. For the push jerk, I really focused on foot placement and speed under the bar. I actually failed at 235# because I didn't hold my core tight at all and then ended up doing a noob move and making my back foot flat. It looked like yoga Warrior Two pose haha. Anyway, the MetCon was just a burner, I wasn't gassed but I definitely feel like I needed more speed on the pull ups. I don't know how the fuck Arvin beat me because I thought Wall Balls were his kryptonite, but he's had so much gainz the past few months that he's doing a hell of a job. Looks like I've got more training to do.**



[Geoff] Strength Lifts


Push Jerk 165# x3 Attempt
Push Jerk 175# x3 Attempt
Push Jerk 185# x3 Attempt
Push Jerk 185# Attempt
Push Jerk 225# Attempt
Push Jerk 235# Attempt 1
Push Jerk 235# Attempt 2
Push Jerk 245# Attempt
MetCon

[Arvin]
2x175# Push Press
195# (10# PR) Push Jerk, failed 205# twice and 200#
5:30 Metcon (15# DB thrusters)

The video for my Push Jerks starts off after 3 mins, I warmed up a good amount at 135#. I still am scared to put my head forward after I shoot my jerk, it's a mental block at this point. I was very happy with my 195# attempt as I really stuck the jerk and kept my core tight. Just so everyone knows, I did not do wall balls I actually had to do 15# DB thrusters and that's what may have attributed to my 5:30 time as I don't actually have to wait for the ball to drop down. I was happy I went unbroken on all three sets of pullups. I still break rhythm from time to time but as long as I don't let go of the bar than I'm good.
Push Press 175#
15 Mins to establish 1 rep push jerk max

0 [ p r o p s ]:

Post a Comment