Saturday, April 6, 2013

Day 6: The 6 Gym Essentials

Day 6
"6 Gym Essentials"

WOD 130406
Part I:

Part II:
4 Rounds For Time
8 Dumbbell Squats
12 Box Jumps

** For Part I, focus on getting your butt under parallel. "5x3" stands for 5 sets of 3 reps. So for example, guys can start off with 25# dumbbells, then 35#, then 45#, 55# and 65#. girls should start with 10# and move up in weight as long as technique is solid. Staying on the same weight for the next set is NOT a problem and is even welcomed because getting the repetitions at lower weight always supersedes the attempt for a higher weight and sacrificing technique. For Part II, 1 round equals 8 squats and 12 box jumps. You will do a total of 32 squats and 28 box jumps as fast as you can and clock your time in. the weight for the Dumbbell Squats should the weights you used for the 3rd or 4th set to feel the burn. Box jumps can be made with the aerobics platforms at globo gyms (i.e. LA Fitness, Lifetime, 24 Hour, etc). A good high for girls are 16/20 inches and guys are 20/24 inches**

____

6 Gym Essentials

I know other fitness websites may have different lists and recommendations for gym essentials, but for what I have done and what has worked for me and my circle of friends, these items are the most essential items to make the most out of your workouts. These items help with workouts that are more focused on body weight and mono structured exercises (rowing, running, biking, etc). I feel like if you had these items, then you would have NO excuse to miss a workout. You can easily get a crazy burn using these items and save time if you are too busy in your day to head to the gym. These items are in no particular order because they are all important to keeping a high level of fitness. To purchase the items below, I have given a direct link to the website where I would get them. I hope this can give you a direction as what to get so you can get started with working out!

1. Jump Rope

I like the speed ropes because they are as punishing as they are rewarding. Regular jump roping is considered a 'single under' in CrossFit, where the rope passes once under your feet. Double unders are counted when the rope passes your feet twice within one jump. Speed ropes are the best jump ropes to own to be able to get that double under. Double unders enhances the accuracy, technique, and cardio for anyone doing them. Rogue makes the CrossFit standard speed ropes. Check them out!


2. Gymnastic Rings

This maybe an intimidating piece of equipment, but I can assure you, this helps build strength and stability in your muscles. Using your body weight can be enough to feel the burn and the rings definitely give that ability to make different exercises for your workout. I have a set of wooden rings, the exact model as the graphic below, and it has helped with all my body weight exercises. Plus, who doesn't look cool being able to do work on rings?! Invest in these rings (as well as the Iron Gym) and you can work out at home ANYTIME.


3. Total Iron Gym Bar

This is your best bet on getting your pull ups and push ups in the house if you can't get to the gym. I know before I take a shower, I try to get in 3 quick sets of push ups and pull ups with this thing. You can switch up the grips and work on upper body strength. This combo'd with the rings is the best pair for working out. You've seen this piece of equipment plenty of times so there's no need to read anymore review from me. This is a must have.


4. Foam Roller

When I used to workout at Lifetime Fitness, I always wondered why these people would be laying on these foam tubes haha I honestly thought it was stupid and useless. Thanks to my ignorance, I missed out on the opportunity to use this amazing piece of equipment that highly reduces my soreness the next day. I truly do vouch for foam rollers and any trigger point therapy post workout. It also helps when I roll out my claves and IT band to reduce the pain from my plantar fasciitis (inflammation on the tendon in front of the ball of the heel). If you want to save money on massages and keep yourself from being super sore the next day, invest in a foam roller. I personally use the Trigger Point foam roller only because the one at the CrossFit box I workout of has them. You can honestly get a cheap one form TJ Maxx or Ross for the same results, or even buy a 6" wide PVC pipe. Make sure you roll out!



5. Shoes

Let me emphasize that I am not a shoe fanatic, or an exercise show expert. I only vouch for what I have used and share the information that anyone looking for a review or can relate. My recommendation for cross training, mixed fitness routines, and Crossfit, would be Reebok Nano's and Inov8 shoes. They are lightweight and breathable. You can use them to run, olympic lift, or perform gymnastics. If you want to focus on running shoes, by all means, go for the Nike Free Runs or New Balances. OLY shoes are strictly for olympic lifting, both Nike and Reebok make popular models. Shoes in general are very good pieces of equipment that can help enhance your performance and lower the risk of injury. My personal recommendation are the Reebok Nano's.



6. Your Attitude

Okay I lied. This is the most important piece of 'equipment' you need for your workout. If there is a will, there is a way. You honestly do not need a single piece of equipment to get a good workout. You can have an amazing workout by just doing body weight movements in your pajamas and high intensity running. Let me say it again, if there is a will, there is a way. Be resourceful. If you have a $20 gym membership for LA Fitness, look up YouTube videos of exercises you can do at LA Fitness to maximize your time there. Be creative. If you don't have a pull up bar, substitute with a lat pull down machine. If you can't use the bench, do high rep push ups. If you don't have the mindset, all the equipment in the world could help you. It starts in your head. It starts with the emotional and mental investment in your mind before any financial investment in equipment. If you have the will, you'll find the way. It's up to you.

(This is the best package that you could start with for the price. Trust me, I've looked around. I wish I caught this deal before getting my equipment. You get the Nano's and the speed rope for a discounted price. The lifting straps and wrist wraps are great additions to your gym essentials. PRs (Personal Records can be achieved with these)

0 [ p r o p s ]:

Post a Comment