Friday, January 11, 2013

Jiro Dreams of Sushi




I watched this documentary that so well directed and put together. The only time I get to watch movies is when I come home from work and I need the TV on to go to sleep. Most of the time, I knock out before the movie finishes and my sleep time turns off all the electronics for me. This particular movie caught my eye because of the big words SUSHI on the title. I've watched a few (okay a lot) episodes of Gordon Ramsey's restaurant reality shows and this came up as one of those "Since you watched...". I decided to watch this documentary, hoping it would put me to sleep within the first 15 minutes, but it ended up catching my eye within 3. I was wide awake after Jiro's short monologue after the opening credits:

"Once you decide on your occupation you must immerse yourself in your work. You have to fall in love with your work. Never complain about your job. You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That's the secret to success and is the key to being regarded honorable." - Jiro Ono


This movie was unexpected but absolutely worth the time I stayed awake. I was drawn to Jiro's story line. I could feel his passion thru the movie and I was drawn into the lives of sushi chef masters of Tokyo. Sushi was turned into a work of art by the Director, David Gleb. I loved the way certain screens were shot; the macro shots, the slow motion, the time-lapse photography, the whole nine. Obviously the score of the movie was appealing to me since most of it was classical music. The story line is great, and as a fan of good sushi, Jiro's sushi restaurant is a bucket list hands down. 

The biggest message I got from this documentary was the fact that Jiro was so fortunate to find his passion early on in his life, continued to pursue it throughout the events of his life, and still continues to make a living off it. I always wonder what it's like to give 100% of yourself to something that makes you dream of it, something that occupies your mind 24/7, and something that never gives you a dull moment or bores you. The way I feel about music is the same way Jiro feels about sushi... now to find that drive to make it work wherever I am in my life is the key.

0 [ p r o p s ]:

Post a Comment