Monday, January 7, 2013

Studying for my Level 1 CrossFit Cert


It started when my cousin, Don, introduced me to a new kind of workout 'routine' that consisted of olympic lifts, running, and kettle bell swings. Three things I hated. I went along for two main reasons: he's my older cousin and it's my obligation to listen to whatever he says because he is older, and two, I know that my cousin is always ahead of the trend and always looking into the 'new' things; clothes, tv shows, exercises, etc. I trusted his instincts and went along with the workouts. Our goal? Tough Mudder in November in Englishtown, NJ. In my head, I thought, "Who the hell pays to run and suffer?"... Little to my knowledge, what I gained from that whole experience in the summer of 2010 was something that would change my life forever.

First came Fran, then came Helen, then Recon, then WODs, then power cleans, then clean and jerks, then tabatas... the list went on, and as the weeks went by, I always left my cousin's garage gym with a high of endorphines I've never gotten before with other workout partners or workout routines. The best part? There was no routine. It was the new fitness and lifestyle called CrossFit, which he instilled in my head. After workouts came videos of Chris Spealler Graham Holmberg, and Rich Froning Jr, and the CrossFit games. I was hooked. I learned and practiced all the moves I could in a gym that offered whatever space they could for our workouts and worked hard until I moved back to Arizona.

Since moving back to Arizona, I finished my degree, continued to workout according to different WODs from CrossFit Affiliate websites, and signed up for the next level of my CrossFit education; my Level 1 CrossFit Certification. This means a whole lot to me because it's a gift for myself to prove my commitment to this lifestyle. CrossFit always taught me to think outside the box, push a little harder, find the spark that's inside me to stay competitive, and humbled me to know that there's always someone training harder that I can learn from. I've never been good at sports, nor will I try to pursue some professional sport, but CrossFit has given me a competitive platform where I can find others like ME who want to compete in a physical sport.

My class is CrossFit Forever Strong in Chandler this weekend and I hope to pass the class, absorb all the information given to me, and make new friends that can help me with my ultimate goal: Compete in the CrossFit games 2014/2015.

0 [ p r o p s ]:

Post a Comment